Wednesday, March 2, 2011

11 all-star bars, propel me far


This is probably at least my 12th time making bars. I enjoy making the "no cook, Lara style" of bars the most. They are easy, delicious, raw, and its simple to make different flavours. These bars turned out to be Peanut Butter - Chocolate Chip - Banana flavoured. Very yummy.

Since I already went on a 4 hour bike ride, 30 minute run, and 1:30 yoga today, I decided that activities would be omitted from this recipe.

Ingredients:
- 2 Cups dates
- 3/4 Cup crushed up banana chips
- 1/2 Cup chocolate chips
- 1 banana
- 1 Cup almond meal (ground almond)
- 3 tbsp peanut butter

Directions:
Cut up the dates into small pieces. Do the same with the chocolate chips, and the bananas. I put the bananas in a plastic bag and punched them, which was kinda fun.
Put all the ingredients in a bowl. With a very hefty spoon, start mixing it all up. This can get a bit tiring after a while, but its good for you hands, and arms.
Keep mixing. haha. It takes a while. A food processor would be easier, but the blender-type don't seem to hold up to the dates very well.

Once everything is nicely mixed together, you need to start checking the humidity. They shouldn't be very sticky. Try to make one bar with your hands. If you can do it without getting a really sticky mess all over your hands, you are set. If not, add more almond meal.

After the humidity is good, start making bars. I ended up with 11 bars, approximately 60 grams each. These would equate to approximately 300 Calories each.

You can see in the picture, the process of folding the plastic wrap, and rolling them into bars. the bar on the top left is pre-flattening. the one on the right is after flattening. I use a cutting board, and just push down with my body weight.

Another good note, is to re-use the plastic wrap. I'm going on my 4th re-use of the current batch. This helps do my part in reducing the 10 million square mile Great Pacific Garbage patch. Anyways, enjoy the bars, and go on some good long ride. Also, play around with flavours! Once you can get the consistency right, the only thing limiting you is your imagination.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ryan, these sound great. i will try to make these over the weekend. oh, and congratulations on your incredible WTM performance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan, I made the bars today and they were very delicious. I have never had a Lara type bar, so I have nothing to compare it to consistency wise. The taste was exceptional and even my 15 month old son enjoyed the bites he stole from me. I currently have the remaining bars in the freezer based off of your espresso bar recipe. I'm not sure how you store them, but freezing them can't hurt. Thanks again! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete