Sunday, March 13, 2011

Some people are didgeri-talkers, others are didgeri-doers

For those who have known me for a long time, know that i've been toying with the idea of making a wooden didgeridoo for a while. Well, I finally had access to a wicked shop, the wood, and someone with the knowledge to guide me through it. I obviously documented the process...














First, I had to select the tree. I searched high and low. And finally settled on a Redwood that had fallen a while ago. This way, it was fully dried out, and ready to rock. These trees look a little on the big side!





After the tree selection, I took the appropriate length branch back to the shop, sanded all the bark off it, and ran it through the band saw.


After it was cut in two, I took the router to it, and hollowed out the inside. This is the hard part, and I definitely got a lot of help from a friend.



After she was all hollowed out, I glued it back together. Lots and lots of clamps were used! I did some final shaping, and then sanded it some more. Also, We took the blow torch to the inside of the didge, to seal it up a bit, and scorch any little wood "hairs"




I put several coats of oil, then made the mouthpiece out of beeswax.



I might put a darker stain on it, but for now it just plays so nicely, that I don't want to wait another 3-4 days of drying time.



My didgeridoo is beautiful, and plays great. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

I like to think of the didgeridoo as a sort of "hippy Spirotiger" Great breath training, and very spiritual. It is said that the if the earth had a voice, it would sound like a didgeridoo. Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment